Fraud Alert – Cold Calling Scam
Fraud Alert: There are reports of consumers receiving cold calls from fraudsters claiming to be ‘their Bank looking into suspicious transactions’. Be Alert!
- Fraudulent calls have been targeting customers trying to persuade them that their Credit / Debit Card has been compromised.
- These scams will usually request confirmation of identity details and potentially recent transactions.
- Some fraudulent callers are also advising that the customers branch will not be aware of details, or the call as it is being handled by a third party.
FraudSMART’s Top Tips:
- Always double check:
- if it is true that your account has been subject to missing funds or suspicious transactions
- that the individual works at the bank by taking their name and details.
- the phone number is in fact your bank by calling your bank’s number as detailed on the back of your debit/credit card.
- Please always contact your Bank when you receive these types of calls and double checking your account
- Do not ever transfer money out of your account on the back of instructions from a ‘caller’.
- Call the number on your debit/credit card, and tell them about your recent contact/ communication.
- Double check the number they called you from by bringing the number back – make sure you hear a dial tone and check your banks website also for this number.
- If you think this could have happened to you, contact your local Garda Station and report the incident and also report this to your bank.
This is a general notice issued by FraudSMART on behalf of BPFI members