Win new iPhone with Spin 1038 & FraudSMART
Get FraudSMART and win a new iPhone with Spin 1038
Don’t believe everything you hear and see!
If something seems too good to be true online, then it probably is.
Scams, both online and offline are nothing new and like everything else in the world, scams get more sophisticated with time.
Large amounts of fraudsters are now targeting young people on social media with fake adverts or to act as ‘Money Mules’. This means using someone’s bank account to transfer stolen money.
You might think to yourself “I’d never fall for something like that, I’d know if I was in danger of becoming a ‘Money Mule’”. But it can be easy to fall into a trap like this, and the consequences are very serious.
Fraudsters often use fake social media ads to trick you into sharing personal data and will also target you through fake shopping offers and deals, to get you to share banking details.
We might not realise it, but fraudsters can build up a profile of you through your posts on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter. With a little bit of online digging, they can find out other things, like your date of birth, your mother’s maiden name and your job history, making it easy for the fraudster to steal your identity.
Here is how you can be safe online and avoid becoming a victim of fraud:
- Always be wary of ‘work-from-home’ ads and ads offering a quick cash fix
- Never use public Wi-Fi to make an online payment or check your online banking
- Don’t accept social media friend requests from people you don’t know
- Change up your passwords frequently
Three golden rules to help you stay safe when it comes to fraud
Informed. Alert. Secure.
- Be Informed: Stay in control, don’t be rushed and make a decision you will regret.
- Be Alert: To unexpected/unsolicited emails, telephone calls or texts. Always independently check the person is who they say they are.
- Be Secure: Never give your security details such as your PIN, full banking password or codes/login details to anyone.
If you suspect that you’ve been the victim of a scam, contact your bank and the Gardaí ASAP.
Visit Spin 1038 on Instagram and Facebook to be in with a chance to win a new iPhone, tune in to The Zoo Crew all this week, the winner will be announced on air this Friday.