Online Card Fraud
Martina’s credit card was used on an auction website without her knowledge.
Martina received a text message from her bank asking for her to make contact. She called only to find out her credit card had been fraudulently used.
Martina received a text message from her bank asking her to contact them as soon as possible regarding activity on her credit card. Calling the number the next day, Martina went through the identification process with her bank only to find out that her credit card had been used on a well-known auction website to the amount of €686. Martina was stunned as she had never used the website before – also the amount seemed odd.
Once her bank had established this was not an authorised activity or purchase, made by Martina, they immediately put a freeze on the transaction and launched an investigation.
Martina was shocked at how easily her credit card details could have been compromised, especially as she is normally very careful about how she uses her card. How did they manage to get her personal information?
In this case, Martina received a refund, but she was all too aware of other situations where her friends didn’t receive a refund as they may have entered bank details on a fraudulent website themselves. The overall experience has made her more aware of how and where she uses her card.
It’s your money, make sure you have control. Be FraudSMART – be informed, alert and secure.
- Always check your online banking, or paper statements to keep an eye on funds and transactions on your accounts/cards.
- Always ensure website is secure e.g. https is the universal understanding of a secure website – the S in https means secure!
- Always log on to a website directly rather than clicking on links provided in an email.
- Be careful with your card – always cover your PIN number when using it either at an ATM, in a shop or paying for a service.
- Never ‘save’ your account details or card details anywhere that might be easily accessible to fraudsters – either in your wallet, or in your phone or online.